Summertime camping means days on the beach, the beautiful scenery on your favorite trail, or those memorable nights with your family and friends.
Unfortunately it also means scorching heat, high humidity, and potential severe weather. Don’t let these minor inconveniences stop you from enjoying one of the best seasons to pitch a tent and enjoy life.
Here are some of our best tips and tricks to stay cool while summer camping.
1. Staying hydrated is the most important tip we, or anyone else can give you. Since everyone loses water differently, it is difficult to determine the proper amount per person. One of the best ways to tell, is to look at the color of your urine. The darker the urine generally means the more dehydrated you are. Here is a chart to help you determine your hydration level.
2. Use a solar powered camping fan if needed. Solar powered fans are lightweight, quiet and easy to pack. They are incredibly useful in the sweltering heat. One of our favorite solar powered tent fans is the 5000mAh Battery Camping Fan with LED Lights-40 Working Hours Max Tent Fan Light with Hanging Hook-Rechargeable Battery Operated USB Desk Fan for Tent Car RV Hurricane Emergency Outages
3. Another simple, yet effective method is to camp near water. Whenever the heat gets too much, just jump in and cool off. A mountain river or stream will generally be coldest on the hot summer days.
4. If camping at a campground with power hookups. A portable air conditioner such as Personal Air Cooler, Portable Evaporative Conditioner with 3 Wind Speeds Touch Screen Small Desktop Cooling Fan, Mini Air Conditioner Fan for Home, Bedroom Room, Office, Dorm, Car, Camping Tent is always a viable option.
5. When backcountry camping or hiking, always set up camp in the shade. It sounds like a no brainer, but it can be easy to forget. Just remember to not be too close to trees. Due to lightning from severe weather, or limbs potentially falling during high winds.